16 March 2011

Journeys

What a beautiful and marvelous God we serve. In case you may not know, I leave May 31st to serve Him in Malawi for seven months. My journey has been surprising, magical, and scary at times. Here is the brief story of how I decided to cross the world at age 17.
Initiation
When I was young, traveling never appealed to me, especially mission trips. I always believed my mission was here in the US. However, when I was in the third grade at Camp Hillmont, they spoke one night on mission fields. Mr. Ed Darnell came up to me that night and said God gave him a word for me: my mission was school and the world. This pivotal moment was soon forgotten as I went through middle school and entered high school.
The call
In high school, God was present in my life, but I did not feel much growth. I did not connect with my youth group at church because I was loud and usually bouncing off the walls and I felt awkward with kids so I did not want to teach Sunday school. I regrettably found myself skipping church behind my parents back (later to find out they were quite aware of the situation).  One Sunday in 2008 I decided to chill in the back of the sanctuary and see if I could learn a thing or two from good ole Pastor Rick. In the middle of the service, a video played. The People’s Church partnered with Capital City Baptist Church in Malawi, Africa, and they were starting a program called Adziwa. The video was to introduce the program and invite people to come serve as a mission team. I felt so compelled to go that I started crying (which I refuse to do in public) and ran up to the third floor. I interrupted my mom who was teaching and told her, “I have to go to Africa. I don’t know how or why but I have to go”
First Trip Synopsis
In the process of applying for the 2009 trip, my family changed churches. This trip was a youth trip, and I was so worried. I no longer went to church with these kids, and I was insecure in thinking they would hate me. I was not sure whether I wanted to go or not, but in the end I decided i would just be hanging out with God for a few weeks. Even more ironically, I found out that we would be teaching preschool and running an afterschool Awana program for the kids. Keep in mind, I don’t like kids. Even though I was completely out of my comfort zone, I decided to just put my faith in sweet Jesus. After a 3 day flight, I felt so close to the kids on my team. Kyle Wall led the trip and was fabulous. As soon as our bus dropped us off in Adziwa, I fell in love. In love with the kids, the country, and even all the dirt. The food was a struggle, not gonna lie. But showering in a bucket was straight up my alley. I learned so much on this first trip, but most importantly I saw God. The way those people love is incredible. I’m tearing up typing this right now. They accepted me for all the flaws I had. God loved on me those two weeks, and I brought that love back to the states.
Second Trip Synopsis
This past summer, 2010, I went back to Malawi to see all my babies. This trip was more of a revitalization than anything else.  Spring 2010 was super rough, and all year the only saving grace that kept me moving was going back to this special place with the Lord. For two weeks, I relaxed under His peace and bonded with our team. While we were there, I prayed and meditated on whether I wanted to come back and how long I would stay, by the end of the trip, I stated I would be coming back for a year or so and taking a year off. My teammate, Morgan, also had felt God  calling her back to teach at Adziwa. Now all that was left was breaking the news to the fam :/ The night I got back from the second trip, my family went to TGIFridays to eat. I told them of my plans, and oddly my mom just said well alright Ellie. Later I asked her why she was so calm, and she just said she knew I was sure and God had given her peace in that.
Fear, Excitement, Worry
Senior year!! This means Basketball, football, Senior class president responsibilities, spirit squad pep rallies, physics, friends, work, PLUS graduation, and leaving 3 days later. My life has been utter chaios. I struggle with the whole live in the moment idea right now, because everything coming up needs so much tending to. With thousands of dollars to raise, I had to do something. I began to sell paintings and make jewelry to sell, and fully give credit to our gracious God for the $3500 I’ve raised from my shows, and I have faith that he will provide me with the other $3500 needed. College stresses me out honestly. Kentucky blue is first choice but MTSU could be the place for me. In addition, my friend Blessing that I met in Malawi this past summer, has come to Franklin to go to school. She is hilarious and crazy, and I am so excited to have her here. Morgan and I have gotten so close through planning and I have learned to lean on other people when I’m faced with trouble. Now that March is half way through, the excitement is beginning to turn to nervousness. My mom reads to me most nights to go to sleep, and family time is the most important thing to me. I don’t know exactly what will happen when I cannot run to my family at any moment. I know God will be by my side through it all though!!
Prayer Requests
As I prepare to leave, I have a few things I would LOVE prayer on…
·         Continued hope and peace in financial matters
·         God will direct me in my college choice
·         Satan has no hold of me
·         I will have time to pack and will have room for everything I need
·         TIME--- to say good-bye
---E3

3 comments:

  1. Praying for you sister as you prepare to go! I'm jealous that everything has worked out, but so excited that God is allowing you to go where your heart is! Love you sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you've got me tearing up, Ellie!
    Remembering Bradley's stories of that first Malawi trip...looking ahead to Brooke's trip to Mozambique...I'm just so stinkin' proud of all of you! ; )
    You are living examples of modern day faith heroes and I'm so honored to know you and pray for you through this next step of your amazing journey.

    Love,
    "Miss Jill"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellie, I so proud of you! You have such a love for Africa and I know you carry God's love to them with open arms. You know you are in my prayers and I will keep you there till you return. It takes a special heart, one very attached to the Father and His love, to want leave the family and friends and "go where He sends you". I can't wait to hear all the God stories that will be coming from you. You are one special young lady!

    Love you!
    Mr Jim

    ReplyDelete